Thursday, June 24, 2004

Bush's "To Do" List

So now President Bush wants to announce a bold new plan to send people to the moon? Sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

Now tell me, when you read this tidbit in the paper the other day, what was your first reaction? I mean, I want to trust his motives, I really do. But this news certainly didn't energize me the same way President Kennedy's words did on September 12, 1962, when he unveiled his vision of the future. JFK's proclamation seemed to be more genuine - born out of a real passion for discovering a new frontier. I just can't say the same thing about Mr. Bush's latest proposal. Yes, to some extent JFK's vision was about winning a round against the Soviets, we all know that. But Kennedy's moon-shot talk seemed to emerge from a true pioneer's soul. His proclamation was crisp and fresh - it meant more back then simply because of its suggested science-fiction-like target mission. JFK's words didn't have a sequel feel to them. His vision was…well… It was bold.

Mr. Bush's newest brainstorm appears to be merely one more item scheduled on his campaign "to do" list. After such carefully orchestrated trips to the battleship and to carve turkey, what's he going to check off next? A getaway to Boston so he can be seen throwing crates of tea into the harbor? Listen, it's not as though I don't like the idea of returning to the moon. Really I do like it. Who wouldn't? As a young baby boomer, such talk revives dormant feelings of wonder and excitement. If I pause for a moment, I can almost hear Jules Bergman and Frank Reynolds talking in the background. And of course I realize that I'm pecking away on a nice little laptop computer while checking messages on my cell phone - I know all about the wonderful byproducts generated from the space program's research. But really - at a time when the country is bleeding money because of a whole host of both domestic and international problems, how can one not be at least a bit suspicious?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home